Statement of Business Principles
To build markets, create jobs and sustain peace in developing countries by championing local entrepreneurs and connecting them to new business opportunities.
Building Markets’ Sustainable Marketplace Initiative (SMI) provides a suite of services that help facilitate
local economic growth in countries recovering from conﬂict and disaster.
The services and activities implemented through the SMI target local entrepreneurs and the various
institutional buyers operating in each country. This includes bilateral donors, the United Nations and its
agencies, national governments, non-governmental organizations, the military and private companies.
Building Markets and its staff are committed to achieving the goals of the SMI, including providing
courteous, reliable and professional services to all of our clients, stakeholders and partners.
• We take great pride in the professional quality of our work and aim to provide the highest level of service to all of our clients and partners.
• We maintain high ethical standards and insist that our operations are driven by honesty and integrity. Bribes in any form are unacceptable.
• We respond to requests for services from our clients in a timely and considerate manner.
• We are committed to continuous improvement of our services by always striving to understand and take stock of the needs and demands of our various clients and stakeholders.
• We interact with our clients, stakeholders and partners in a fair and transparent manner.
• Corruption, extortion, or embezzlement are not tolerated in any form.
• We receive conﬁdential information as part of our normal client relationships and seek to maintain the conﬁdence of all of our clients.
• We are not involved in the implementation of buyers’ procurement procedures. We do not evaluate their bids, proposals or their award of contracts.
• We do not provide technical or budget advice to suppliers responding to tenders or other requests for bids and proposals.
• Our staff does not hold interests in commercial ﬁrms in any country where we operate.
All staff sign the Building Markets Code of Conduct. The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to establish
standard operating procedures for staff regarding gifts, advantages, conﬂict of interest and other relevant
issues pertaining to their professional activities. Adherence to these principles ensures Building Markets’
commitment to integrity, transparency and fairness.
Building Markets is a 501(c)(3) nonproﬁt organization headquartered in New York City (EIN/ Tax ID number:
98 0575195). Building Markets is legally registered in all locations where it operates and complies with all
indigenous laws, rules and legal and regulatory requirements.
Building Markets is governed by a Board of Directors that provides general oversight of the organization’s
operations. Building Markets’ Chief Executive Officer is responsible, through a team of senior managers, for
the day-to-day management of the organization.