Building Markets

Back to all blogs

Best. Fellowship. Ever.

We’ve got a problem at PDT. We’re very good at some things, like helping to create jobs, championing local entrepreneurs, and foosball.

We can do this...

But we’re very bad at other things, like telling our story, the stories of the people we help, and karaoke.

...but not this.

And that’s where you come in. We are looking for a journalism fellow. To be as accurate and objective as possible and to distinguish it from other, lesser fellowships, we’re calling this one the:

Best. Fellowship. Ever.”

[Cue jazz hands]

Eligible Applicants: You. Especially if you are currently attending j-school.

Application Procedure: Do not send us an earnest cover letter. Do not send us your padded CV.  And please please please do not get your Mom to call us. Instead, upload a 60 second YouTube video explaining why you’re going to be a great foreign correspondent.  Add the title “PDT’s Best Fellowship Ever” to your video, and you’re done. The successful applicant will have the charisma of Anderson Cooper, the story-telling prowess of Hans Christian Anderson, and the production skills of Wes Anderson:

YouTube Preview Image

Fellowship Description: The successful candidate will be provided with a stipend and will be asked to perform the following tasks:

• Plan and prepare for a 2-week foreign assignment covering PDT’s work abroad. Working part-time and remotely with PDT staff, this phase will be wrapped up by late December.
  • Travel to PDT’s country offices in Port au Prince, Monrovia, and Kabul. There our team will look after your logistics and accommodation, and help you arrange interviews with the local entrepreneurs we’ve helped, and the people they employ. Ideally, this will be undertaken between December 26th and January 9th. (You’ll be spending New Years Eve in Kabul, sure, but on the upside you’ll still get to be home for Christmas.)
  • Blog about your travels, the entrepreneurs you meet, and the things you see.
  • Edit and produce short video spots (30-90 second) based on these interviews, and…
  • Write a dozen 200-500 word pieces telling their stories. (To be completed, along with the videos, by February 1st, 2012.)

Application Deadline: Post your slick video by December 14th, and 2 weeks later you’ll find yourself ordering a whiskey and singing karaoke at the legendary Gandamack Lodge in Kabul. It’s that simple.

34 Comments

1. Brendan says:

Will you be accepting applications from people outside the US? In particular Canada?

2. Scott Gilmore says:

Yes, we will accept applications from Canada, or anywhere frankly. The key qualifications are not the passport or area code, but how well you can communicate (in English), and your editing skills.

3. Sagar Ghimire says:

I am School drop out students. I left school after my Grade 10. I was forced to join the local committee of the rebel insurgent given to my oratory skills. But I couldnt so I left the village and moved to the capital city- Kathmandu and worked for my bread and butter and I couldn’t continue my formal study. Now after earning some money I have re-joined my high school and now I am in 11th Grade. I am passionate in journalism. I work for an online news portal here in Nepal (www.hamrakura.com) as a correspondent. I am interested in this fellowship. Am I still eligible?
    Sagar Ghimire
    Correspondent
    Email: activist_ocean@yahoo.com

4. Ashaq Malik says:

Yes, I would love to join this fellowship. Are you providing techinical support/facilities like video camera etc or the participants have to manage.

5. Mr. R says:

Hi,

Do you have to have journalism experience? I’m adept at communicating, but not within the news concept, mostly private sector work. I’m 31, looking for a change, and would represent your organization well with a mature voice. Am I eligible or is this really just for college students?

Mr. R

6. Kenji says:

hey scott,

just wondering if you were just planning on sending a single person to do all these videos. generally documentary films a best done in pairs.

7. Samantha says:

I’m sorry, where are we meant to post our video?

8. Hi all, here are answers to some of your questions:

Sagar Ahmir – You are still eligible. Please submit a video to YouTube with the title or tag of “PDT’s Best Fellowship Ever”

Ashaq Malik – Fellowship winner must have their own equipment and editing tools.

Mr. R – this is not necessarily only for journalism students and recent grads. However, we can only afford to give a small stipend and cover travel and accommodation expenses. We are looking for someone with a fresh, new perspective, creativity and excitement that college students often bring. Plus you must have great communication and video editing skills.

Kenji – a PDT staff member with background in journalism will be traveling with you.

Samantha – please post your video on YouTube with the title or tag of “PDT’s Best Fellowship Ever.”

9. […] many people get to your own private island its time to swing for the stars and apply to spend your new years in Kabul reporting the world. It is the BEST fellowship […]

10. Broke photojournalist says:

What’s the pay for the work?

11. Camilla says:

Great but sending j-schoolers to Kabul? Seriousely? Without any training in hostile environments?
    Did you see the news today?

Upside is you’ll have stringers in your office other than that you wont get by in Kabul.
    You’ll pay accomodation. Where? Kabul is expensive for non-Afghans.

What about publishing rights. Everything is delivered free for you for the small grant…exclusively or?

If you’re Afghan…can you really ask for a whiskey let alone get into the Ganda?

What about flakjackets/kevlar?

What about translators?

What about transportation?

Seems you’re trying to get inexperienced people to cover one of the most dangerous places in the world. Good luck to people that apply. You’ll need it.

12. R says:

Dear sir,

I am a working professional journalist in Western Part of India (Gujarat, India). I have an experience of 10 years as a journalist and have covered many beats so far. Do you suggest me to make the 60minutes video and upload on the YOu Tube?

13. ana says:

quick Q: is Croatia eligible to apply? Tnx

14. visa says:

What’s the visa situation for each of these countries? If you’re American, can the visas be processed in just 2 weeks?

15. 'Sanmi Falobi says:

I have never uploaded a vidoe on youtube before, but would learn how to, in time to enter. thanks.

Sanmi Falobi,
    Lagos, Nigeria.

16. hi ineed to know how i rigister in this work…thanks.

17. Hello I want to know how to sign I am from Algeria and what are the conditions for acceptance and thank you
    issam10050@hotmail.com
    algeria.

18. Eduardo says:

Can Brazilians apply for that too?

19. Mar says:

Hello, I´m a freelance journalist and photographer from Costa Rica, I write for magazines and I am getting a degree on Audiovisual Production. I have my own SRL camera and would be happy to travel. Is this for students only?

20. Shahabuddin says:

Hi,I am working electronic journalist having 17 years experience and i have visit several times Afghanistan for reporting and from our place to Afghanistan the trival is only of one houre,am based in Peshawar(Khyber pukhtunkhwa) on Road the trival is about 5 hours.i am very much interested to travel.

21. fghjf says:

hi i i send the video to whish email or direcly on youtoube and how cantact me if i send’t my e mail

22. […] only have 5 days left to make your video pitch for PDT’s Best Fellowship Ever.  When this idea was first mooted I scoffed at it a bit.  I was annoyed it was not my idea.  Its […]

23. shahabuddin says:

i have upload video on youtube

24. Sasha says:

Don’t you want to hire also a Russian-speaking (and writing) fellow? Wouldn’t it be rational to let also Russian-speaking world to know about you?

25. Assed Baig says:

Hi

I have posted a video on youtube but it does not come up on the search results for some bizarre reason. I have named it PDT’s best fellowship ever, tagged it and done everything I can short of uploading it again.

Here is the video link

Thanks
    Assed

26. Luis V. says:

Hello,

I think it’s just a matter of time, but my video doesn’t show up on YouTube’s search results. I name it “PDT’s Best fellowship ever”. Just in case, the link is on the bottom.

pdtbestfellow@gmail.com

Thanks

27. videos says:

these videos look great! when are you announcing the winner?

28. Hi all. If anyone has uploaded a video to YouTube but it is not coming up in the search results, copy the link here, @PDTGlobal or send an email to newyork@pdtglobal.org with the link. Thanks to everyone who has applied! Decision to come soon…

29. […] Learn more GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_bg", "ffffff"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_border", "ebeff2"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_text", "333333"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_link", "3a6999"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_url", "a11b1b"); GA_googleAddAttr("LangId", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Autotag", "religion"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "opportunities-2"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "fellowship"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "peace-dividend-trust"); GA_googleFillSlot("wpcom_sharethrough"); Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]

30. kunle idowu says:

here’s the link to my PDT’s Best Fellowship Ever entry

31. Many thanks for spending some time to discuss this particular, I’m strongly regarding it and also love learning read more about this specific subject. When possible, while you achieve experience, can you head changing your blog with increased data? It is very ideal for me.

32. […] Scott Gilmore’s frank remark about PDT’s inability to tell our story, and his subsequent call for an outstanding journalism fellow who would travel the world to help us do just that. Well, we chose one and we couldn’t be more […]

33. hi!,I love your writing so so much! share we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert in this house to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to peer you.

Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Youtube button