Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in developing countries by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, it has redirected over $1.3 billion to local businesses and helped create over 69,000 jobs in some of the world’s poorest economies. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and operates through partners in Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
Syria is facing one of the gravest humanitarian crises of modern times. Now in its seventh year, the conflict has displaced over ten million Syrians internally and in neighboring countries. Turkey alone hosts over 3 million Syrians.
Because of the complex and volatile operating environment inside Syria, the international community is heavily reliant on local partners: organizations and enterprises that deliver humanitarian and development assistance on the ground. Despite the wide range of actors engaged in the response, several barriers prevent organizations and entities from delivering their programs more effectively.
To become more sustainable, organizations require a sound management and an organizational structure able to deliver high quality services in a competitive environment. Many Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) do not have access to tailored training to help them enhance their program delivery. For CSOs and SMEs to play the important role of delivering humanitarian and development assistance, these organizations need specialized training and mentorship to build their strength and solidify their role in both Syrian and Turkish societies.
Building Markets seeks to develop a training program for Syrian-owned SMEs operating in Turkey, as well as Syrian-led CSOs operating in Turkey. The objective of this initiative is to increase the capacity of these local organizations by providing training opportunities on the thematic priority areas outlined below. Each thematic area will have an expert assigned to developing theme-specific material.
Delivery of following training modules for CSOs and SMEs:
- Advocacy and Communications*
- Governance and Strategic Management*
- Proposal Writing and Project Management*
- Financial Management and Budgeting
- Statistics and Data Analysis
- Human Resources Management*
- Legal Accounting
- Turkish Laws & Regulations
- Business Management*
- Trainings will be continuously provided through end of April 2018
- Location: Istanbul, Gaziantep and Hatay
- Activities include administering pre and post-tests, collecting evaluation forms, applying and providing results and reporting to the monitoring and evaluations team
- All travel and accommodation costs will be covered.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise on the thematic priority areas listed above;
- Higher education degree in human resources management, public administration, political science, business administration, economics, finance, public policy, law or related field;
- Experience with USAID/OFDA, DOS/NEA/PRM, DFID, EC, UN and/or any other international donor required;
- Proven experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including donor/development organizations, government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders, and project beneficiaries;
- Experience working with CSOs in Turkey or Syria or a similar country context preferred;
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing training-based materials, delivering theoretical and practical professional training and mentorship in leading CSOs and SMEs;
- Experience managing team building workshops/events;
- Familiarity with internationally recognized best practices for strengthening organizational governance practices, program management, monitoring and evaluation, and/or financial management;
- Experience conducing training in formal and non-formal education styles;
- Expertise in evaluation of humanitarian and SME sectors (e.g. FMCG, food and non-food items, democracy and governance, gender based issues, environmental management, education and/or social inclusion programs) desired;
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to work independently and effectively within tight deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. Turkish highly desirable;
- Ability to travel to training locations across Turkey.
Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate in the subject line: Training Expert Turkey + Your Full Name
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Building Markets and its partners provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.