Afghanistan: Overview & Impact
Population: 29.1 million (UN, 2010)
Languages: Dari, Pashto
Monetary unit: Afghani
Main Exports: Fruit and nuts, carpets, wool, opium (CIA World Factbook, 2012)
GNI per capita: US $370 (World Bank, 2009)
ODA: $6.24 billion (OECD, 2009)
Human Development Index ranking: 172 out of 189 (UN, 2010)
Estimated GDP growth: 22.5% (World Bank 2009/2010)
Since its inception in 2006, the Sustainable Marketplace Initiative in Afghanistan has supported market development and job creation. This initiative has achieved the following results.*
- Our team has helped 680 Afghan businesses to win 1,300 contracts valued at over $1 billion. These contracts helped create or sustain an estimated 65,000 full-time equivalent jobs in Afghanistan.
- 8,300 local businesses including 272 that are female-owned have been registered through verification surveys.
- Tender distribution services have collected and disseminated 7,530 tenders to our network of suppliers, creating transparency in contracting and increasing access to business opportunities.
- Over 1,500 entrepreneurs have received training helping to improve their knowledge about procurement processes and standards as well as their ability to successfully compete for, win and execute tenders.
- Over 1,000 matchmaking reports have been generated for buyers looking for suppliers in the Afghan marketplace and our communication and advocacy efforts have helped inspire changes in buy local policy.
*Source: Building Markets, March 2012