Sneak Preview! The New Afghanistan Building Markets
It’s finally come! After years of clicking our way through the Building Markets site to get to the search function, wading through the never-ending UN Standard Products and Services Codes to find spacecraft and scrolling through all of Afghanistan’s districts and villages to find the city we’re looking for, it’s finally come!
It, of course, is the new Afghanistan Building Markets website. Modeled on PDT’s new Business Portal look and feel, the new website is infinitely more user-friendly, and has improved resources for buyer and suppliers. Although the BETA launch of the site won’t happen until June 1st, I can give you a sneak preview of some of the improvements. The new Building Markets site will still be accessible at afghanistan.buildingmarkets.org.
Changes to the business directory include:
- A new sector categorization system that classifies businesses into twenty-six key categories. The sub-sectors of these categories reflect the most commonly represented Afghan businesses.
- Hyperlinked sectors accessible on the home page, for easy access to locally available goods and services.
- New location categorization, whereby businesses are classified by province.
- More options to refine searches: by sector, sub-sector, location, company size, structure of ownership, and whether the business is female owned or managed.
- Additional company information available to buyers who log in, such as past performance and the option to rate suppliers that the buyer has done business with.
Other parts of the site that are new or improved:
- Information related to the Afghan First principle, including how PDT can support organizations that have an institutionalized Afghan First policy.
- Automated SMS and email notifications to businesses operating in sectors where new tenders or other business opportunities have been released.
- Event listings of conferences, vendor days, training sessions, and other events related to the local marketplace and Afghan First.
- Update schedule of training sessions – including locations and topic – for suppliers interested in participating.
- A link to the Peace Dividend Marketplace – Afghanistan blog, which of course you’re reading already, so you know what it’s all about!
The new Business Portal has already launched for the Peace Dividend Marketplace – Haiti project, and we’re getting positive feedback from buyer and local businesses. However, this is PDM-Haiti’s first Building Markets site (the project only opened last year), and so the users were kind of spoiled from the beginning.
Please take a look at afghanistan.buildingmarkets.org on June 1st to check out the new design, enhanced services and other resources of the BETA version (the full site will launch a few weeks later). Building Markets Afghanistan is for you after all, so try out the new site let us know what you think.