PDM-Haiti Food Expo Reaps Media Blitz for “Buy Local” Campaign
Peace Dividend Marketplace – Haiti was the lead sponsor of an all-day Food Expo on October 2 at the Parc Canne à Sucre in Port-au-Prince. The first such event of its kind in Haiti, the Food Expo attracted considerable media coverage. More than 30 wholesale and retail food companies exhibited their wares to the general public and to specially-invited representatives from potential buyers such as international organizations, hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, and caterers.
The Food Expo was the final event of the week-long Food & Spirits Festival, whose goal was to encourage organizations and companies that purchase foods and beverages in Haiti to “buy local.” During a presentation on event day, PDT Country Director Salim Loxley (see photo below) spoke prior to the Minister of Commerce.
The Food Expo was well covered in the media, including a feature article in the country’s leading newspaper, Le Nouvelliste, and several radio and television interviews. Other PDM-Haiti outreach highlights included:
- At least 15 full complimentary full-page advertisements with the PDT and “buy local” logos in Le Nouvelliste in September and October promoting the event.
- Radio interviews on Magic 100.9 FM with Salim Loxley and Business Development Manager Segolene d’Herlincourt about PDT and “Haiti First.”
- Twice daily radio spots promoting PDT and “buy local” PDT on five major radio stations: Radio Metropole, Radio Caraibes, Radio Kiskeya, Radio Magik 9 and Radio Visa.
- Television interviews during the event with Segolene d’Herlincourt on Channel 32 (see photo below) and Telemobile Online and with Communications Specialist Barbara Saint-Cirin on Haiti Live Network.
- An article in Le Nouvelliste on October 3 about PDT, the Food Expo, and “Haiti First.”
- Mass mailings and invitations prior to the event that put PDM-H in contact with an estimated 4,000 buyers (NGOs, hotels, restaurants, and other food sector buyers) and about 1,000 sellers (food and beverage retailers and wholesalers).