Timorese on Twitter
Well facebook is officially a bit of a craze in Timor-Leste. Underneath the surface of things there is really a lot of social change going on in Timor-Leste. Not really surprising given the increasing access to technology, a wave of petro dollars pushing the bar, and most of the population being under 20 years old.
Late last night I had a look at the #timor hastag on Twitter and found a growing crowd of #Timor tweeps. Six months ago I blogged on Twitter in #Timor and last night I realised its a growing thing as well.
So what I decided to do was grab as many of them as I could in an hour and the below list is my #Timor tweeps catch as of 26 June 2011. I define a Timor tweep as a user that is Timorese, in Timor-Leste, or someone that tweets Timor stuff. There are even a handful of Tweeps on smartphone 3G tweeting while mobile. Its expensive though – although the Government just made a serious move to liberalise the telcoms sector last week.
There is even a group of Timorese who are making Timor Twitter T-Shirts – right here via facebook no less.
More than a few Timorese businesses are getting online via twitter as well, but its still a small group, they might want have a a look at the new Timorese Chamber of Commerce Twitter account here…..
A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O P
Q R S T U
- @reesedward (me)
V X Y Z
Here are Top Ten Twitter Tips for businesses, care of Chris Brogan.
- Build an account and immediate start using Twitter Search to listen for your name, your competitor’s names, words that relate to your space. (Listening always comes first.)
- Add a picture. ( Shel reminds us of this.) We want to see you.
- Talk to people about THEIR interests, too. I know this doesn’t sell more widgets, but it shows us you’re human.
- Point out interesting things in your space, not just about you.
- Share links to neat things in your community. ( @wholefoods does this well).
- Don’t get stuck in the apology loop. Be helpful instead. ( @jetblue gives travel tips.)
- Be wary of always pimping your stuff. Your fans will love it. Others will tune out.
- Promote your employees’ outside-of-work stories. ( @TheHomeDepot does it well.)
- Throw in a few humans, like RichardAtDELL, LionelAtDELL, etc.
- Talk about non-business, too, like @aaronstrout and @jimstorer.