Frequently Asked Questions
Who is GiveDirectly?
- GiveDirectly is an International NGO specialized in the delivery of unconditional and unrestricted cash transfers to people living in poverty and people affected by emergencies. GiveDirectly is implementing this program in Türkiye via their partnership with Building Markets.
Who is this program for?
- The program is targeted at owners of Micro and Small Business operating in Hatay, Gaziantep, Şanlıurfa, and Adana, whose operations have been affected by the earthquake.
- Only business owners who have participated in Building Markets’ needs assessment survey conducted in February and who have directly received the invitation message from Building Markets can apply.
- Upon completion of the application form, Building Markets and GiveDirectly will review and verify the provided information to determine eligibility for the program.
I have relocated after the earthquake, can I still apply?
- Yes – if you have received the message invitation to apply and have a business registered with Building Markets in one of the target areas (Hatay, Gaziantep, Şanlıurfa, Adana), then you can apply by submitting the form even if you are temporarily living in a different area.
How do I know if I am eligible
- Building Markets and GiveDirectly will verify the information provided in the application form and determine your eligibility. When your application has been reviewed, you will receive a message to inform you of the outcome of your application.
What type of support will be provided?
- A cash transfer of 18.000 TL will be provided to eligible business owners. The transfer is meant to help business owners cover costs related to the recovery or maintenance of business operations following the earthquake.
- You will be able to spend the transfer on anything you deem necessary to support your business at this difficult time.
When and how will the transfer be delivered?
- You will receive a message from Building Markets informing you about your eligibility and the expected date of the transfer. If you are eligible, the cash transfer will be delivered within three weeks from the submission of your application.
- If you have an individual bank account, please provide the details in the application form to receive the transfer via bank transfer. If you don’t have a bank account, please let us know in the form and we’ll inform you of alternative solutions to receive your transfer.
Will I need to pay back the cash transfer?
- No – the cash transferred provided in this program is a cash grant, not a loan.
Am I required to spend the money in a certain way?
- No – you can spend the transfer however you choose and on whatever you think it’s most needed to improve your livelihood. No one should tell you how you should spend your money.
Can I apply if I am not a business owner registered with Building Markets?
- No – the program is only for Micro and Small businesses who are registered with Building Markets, who have participated in the February needs assessment and who have received the invitation message from Building Markets.
Am I supposed to pay anything to participate in the program?
No – participation in the program is free and not subject to any fees. Building Markets and GiveDirectly will never ask you for any form of payment or favor to enroll you in the program. Beware of anyone approaching you and asking for money as part of this program and inform our hotline as soon as possible by calling +90 212 945 09 60
I know other business owners and people who are in need, can they participate?
Only selected business owners who have received the message with their unique link can participate in this program.
There are other organizations who are setting up similar initiatives and therefore recommend reaching out to municipalities and NGOs networks for information.
Can I forward the application form link to other business owners?
- No – the link sent is unique for you as owner of a business registered with Building Markets and only one application can be submitted via each link. If you forward the link to other people you could lose your chance to participate.
I have more questions: who can I contact?
- You can talk with Building Markets and GiveDirectly call center by calling +90 212 945 09 60, Monday to Friday from 9AM to 5PM. You will be able to ask your questions in either Arabic or Turkish.