Position: Research and Technical Services Director
Building Markets is seeking an experienced implementer from the entrepreneurship and economic development sectors, who is passionate about using data, technology and partnerships to create scaled impact for disadvantaged small businesses across the globe.
The Research and Technical Services Director is a key technical position supporting the global organization as it increases its impact over the next decade. They work closely with country offices to shape, test, iterate and scale programming through data, a clear learning agenda and strong implementation partnerships. They will support the development and testing of new market-based business models, using data and technology to offer high-quality services to small businesses, as well as governments, financial institutions, and large corporations. The ideal Research and Technical Services Director will be as excited about new research papers on private sector development as they are about designing and testing new approaches to increase uptake of Building Markets services or structuring internal quality assurance mechanisms for data quality.
Reporting to the CEO, the Research and Technical Services Director has primary responsibility for the delivery of technical support services across global programming implementation, strategy development, research, impact, and revenue growth. They will be responsible for managing a small team of technical experts related to each of these areas and will work in close partnership with country teams and partners to deliver Building Markets’ model.
This role is a critical leadership position in Building Market’s senior team, which includes the Head of Partnerships, the Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Executive Officer.
Program Strategy and Implementation
- Define an evidence and data-informed strategy for scaling Building Markets’ model, inclusive of a revised theory of change, learning agenda, and strategies for improving effectiveness and cost-effectiveness.
- Support country teams to develop partnerships that have the potential to offer scale and sustainability, particularly with the private sector and government counterparts at the municipal, regional or national level.
- Build and implement a technical assistance approach to ensure that Building Markets’ offices and partners are able to implement high-quality, impactful programs.
- Ensure transforming program data into well-written research reports and distribute them to potential funders and stakeholders.
- Help establish and track progress towards organization-wide program and impact goals.
- Work with the CEO, COO, and Country Directors to develop new revenue generation strategies.
- Lead and support the development of funding proposals and new initiatives to support strategic goals.
- Engage with the Board of Directors, primary funders, and other key external stakeholders around organizational impact and plans for the future.
- Represent Building Markets externally to existing and potential funders and donors.
- Participate in conferences and events to help raise Building Market’s profile with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Identify and build partnerships with global and local implementing organizations and research institutions.
- Collaborate with the senior team members to build a culture of respect, kindness, effectiveness, and joy across Building Markets.
- Develop and influence organizational decisions to make Building Markets effective in generating impact and a great place to work.
- Manage a team of technical experts that will support global programming strategy and implementation
- 15 years of professional experience in research and measurement with a focus on livelihoods or economic development programming.
- A strategic and results-driven thinker who has experience in using data and evidence to develop and iterate on programs toward achieving scale.
- Depth of experience in partnering with local and global institutions, supporting programmatic and research partnerships in the public and private sectors.
- Experience in raising funds for new initiatives and programs from bilateral, multilateral and foundation funders.
- Experience in working in a range of revenue models from grants and contracts, to fee-based services.
- Proven ability to work across teams, providing technical support and quality assurance for program implementation.
- Postgraduate degree in economics, international development, or a related, relevant field required.
- Experience in nonprofit senior leadership is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional fluency in Spanish, Arabic or French is a plus.
Interested candidates should email their CV and cover letter to [email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.