Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of 24,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar and Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
The Bookkeeper will support all finance related activities required to efficiently run our NY Headquarters and field offices. The ideal candidate is at ease with a demanding and dynamic work environment, has experience working with nonprofits, is comfortable with QuickBooks online, Excel, and able to manage a wide range of detail. This position will largely support the organization’s NYC team and office but will also liaise with field offices on a regular basis related to finance and financial reporting.
Responsibilities and Duties
Bookkeeping & Finance:
• General Bookkeeping
• Monitor/manage accounts payable: process and apply payments to invoices, review for approvals and appropriate coding
• Process payroll for part-time staff and schedule monthly payroll for full-time staff
• Make all entries for program and organizational expenditures and reconcile monthly bank accounts
• Provide support to finance staff abroad on day-to-day financial matters, as well as monthly reporting and accounting entries
• Assist in program and year-end audits
• Must maintain knowledge on financial compliance related to organizational policy (procurement) and active contracts or contribution agreements
• Prepare checks for signature
• Follow-up on past due accounts
• Prepare and review expense claims
• Manage all bank, cash, and credit card reconciliations
• Maintain vendor and payment files
• Manage staff time sheets through ClickTime and monthly staff allocations
• Minimum two years education in relevant field of study (accounting, finance).
• Working towards accounting certification a plus.
• 3-5 years of experience in a bookkeeping role in a nonprofit organization required (preferrably doing international work)
• Experience with grants from large insitutional funders (US Government, large foundations)
• Understanding of inter-office funding allocation
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work in a team environment, including working with remote colleagues
• Self-starter, detail oriented, and able to handle multiple tasks, with minimum direction, and meet deadlines
• Experience working with accounting software, including Quickbooks Online
• Experience with Smartsheet an asset
• Proficiency in MS Office - intermediate level – in particular excel and its full range of functions
Salary commensurate with experience but range is $60-75k. Package includes competitive health/dental/vision insurance, HRA, and 20 days paid annual leave.
New York City
Reports to Chief Financial Officer and CEO
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV, cover letter, and two professional references by email to email@example.com not later than November 30, 2018. The subject line should read “Bookkeeper Application”. Applications that are incomplete will not be considered.