About Building Markets
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains, investment, and growth opportunities. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs and organizations, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 69,000 jobs in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City. For more information visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
Background and Program
Building Markets began operating in Yangon in 2012, helping hundreds of local SMEs find new clients and win contracts. The organization now has a network of more than 3,500 businesses in Myanmar.
With its current program funded by The Coca-Cola Foundation, Building Markets is supporting informal and formal micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the waste and recycling sectors. The program will support business owners and employees to improve conditions, enhance business practices, create jobs, and empower women by using innovative and targeted approaches to training and mentoring.
The Business Consultant is responsible for designing, implementing and monitoring comprehensive and targeted one-on-one business consultations in accordance with Building Markets’ Champions Program for MSMEs in the waste and recycling sector in Yangon, Mandalay and Mawlamyine.
The Champions Program mentors MSMEs with the aim of helping businesses achieve their goals across a range of capacity building topics, including access to finance, business planning, supply chain integration, investor readiness, formalization, human resource management, health and safety, market linkages, and accessing growth opportunities.
The design, implementation and monitoring process will be structured around a bespoke road map and tools that the Consultant will develop for each MSME it consults. The position requires the Consultant to develop in-depth analyses of the specific needs and challenges facing individual MSMEs, with a commitment to providing customized guidance/coaching/mentoring to enable MSMEs to take incremental steps towards achieving their goals. This position is based in Yangon and requires travel to Mandalay and Mawlamyine.
Responsibilities and Duties
Tasks for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Through one-on-one consultations with business owners, develop a nuanced understanding of the needs and challenges facing individual MSMEs that have been selected to participate in Building Markets’ Champions program;
- Design an advanced, tailored capacity building roadmap and implementation plan for each participating MSME;
- Implement customized training and technical assistance to MSME leadership and employees in accordance with the roadmap plan;
- Coach MSME leadership and employees to ensure industry best practices are understood and operationalized for capacity building topics;
- Propose strategies for business formalization and support MSME owners with the implementation of proposed strategies;
- Regularly monitor progress and conduct field visits/workshops tailored to the unique needs of individual MSMEs;
- Ensure proper and timely documentation of all MSME interactions (including but not limited to roadmaps, implementation plans, monitoring visits, and observations), as directed by Building Markets’ tools and templates; and
- Collaborate closely with the Building Markets’ Training Coordinator and the other departments, as directed by the Country Director.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in business administration, CFA/CPA certificate or equivalent is preferred;
- Significant experience in business consulting in Myanmar’s SME sector;
- Expert knowledge in at least one of the capacity building topics listed in the Position Overview;
- Knowledge and experience in the waste and recycling sector is an advantage;
- Fluent in Myanmar and English languages, both written and oral;
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Solid understanding of Myanmar business environment and motivation to promote private sector development in Myanmar; and
- Entrepreneurial, creative, and resourceful attitude,
Yangon with travel to Mandalay, and Mawlamyine
If you meet these qualifications, please send the following, attached in an email with the subject line “Business Consultant Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application, under your own authorship;
- A complete resume/CV. This should be under your own authorship—candidates who cut and past job descriptions or falsify job history will not be considered;
- Include (3) three names of professional references with email and contact phone numbers.
- Please title your CV as follows: “’LAST NAME, FIRST NAME’ CV for ‘Business Consultant’” Please title your cover letter “’LAST NAME, FIRST NAME’ COVER LETTER for ‘Business Consultant’”
DO NOT SEND copies of diplomas or certificates, or other documents other than the above.
DO NOT SEND any documents in .jpg, .gif, or any other file formats other than the above.
DO NOT SUBMIT your application in person or otherwise contact Building Markets unless you receive an email response. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further evaluation, which will include an in-person testing session and at least one in-person interview.
There is no deadline for the applications: short-listed applicants will be interviewed as we receive applications, and until the positions are fulfilled Submissions not fitting the above criteria, or those received after the deadline, will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.