Duration: Full-time Position, 6-month Contract.
Who We Are
Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries like Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor-Leste, and Liberia. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar and Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org and https://entrepreneurs.buildingmarkets.org.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Chief of Party, and works closely with the Business Development Manager, in line with overall guidance and direction from Headquarters. The position is responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communication strategies for the work of Building Markets in Turkey as well as supporting business development activities such as tender distribution services and online matchmaking platform.
Responsibilities and Duties
External Communication Results
- Curate and prepare content for online and offline communications, in collaboration with relevant technical input;
- Collaborate with team members to compile human interest stories for various communications channels;
- Provide recommendations for disseminating research findings through communication streams;
- Ensure newsletter and social media content is regularly updated and relevant;
- Coordinate the implementation of style guides for Building Markets and, where relevant, its partners.
To support business development activities, in collaboration with the Business Development Manager:
- Oversee and maintain SME Tender Distribution Services for Turkey;
- Support scale-up of the organization’s online matchmaking platform, including updating business profiles and communicating with businesses, as directed;
- Work with the Business Development Manager on creating and planning networking events.
Internal Communications Support
- Coordinate reporting inputs and finalize drafts for institutional donors and interested third parties;
- Lead on development of any regular internal communications products, as needed;
- Provide input to strategies, publications, and other technical documents, to ensure clear and concise messaging;
- Support the production of knowledge and research products produced by the Building Markets· Country Office.
- Stay up-to-date with developments and generate new ideas to attract new audiences;
- Support monitoring of and assist in implementing operational revisions;
- As relevant, work with data from partners to support trend analysis;
- Serve as lead on drafts of proposals for new funding opportunities, as needed;
- As relevant, support Building Markets efforts to operationalize systems and workflows developed in Turkey for other contexts.
- Assist the Country Office with other related tasks as required.
- University degree in Journalism, International Development, Marketing, Business, or a related sector;
- Demonstrated experience in formal writing processes, including proposals, reports, or other inputs;
- Experience with social media management tools and analytics;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and Turkish (spoken);
- Familiarity with WordPress and Salesforce;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and quality;
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Arabic or other language skills;
- Experience in not-for-profit organizations and familiarity with their communications policies;
- Familiarity with Turkish civil society operations.
Possible travel in-country.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV/resume, cover letter, and three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than March 13, 2019. The subject line must read “Communications Coordinator - Turkey.”