About Building Markets
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains, investment, and growth opportunities. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs and organizations, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 69,000 jobs in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City. For more information visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
Background and Program
Building Markets began operating in Yangon in 2012, helping hundreds of local SMEs find new clients and win contracts. The organization now has a network of more than 3,500 businesses in Myanmar. With its current program funded by The Coca-Cola Foundation, Building Markets is supporting informal and formal micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the waste and recycling sectors. The program will support business owners and employees to improve conditions, enhance business practices, create jobs, and empower women by using innovative and targeted approaches to training and mentoring.
The ideal candidate is comfortable using technology and social media, is accustomed to communicating with external stakeholders, performs well under deadlines, and has strong attention to detail. S/he will have strong understanding of Microsoft Office Programs. Additionally, s/he will work closely with the other Building Markets staff members to coordinate schedules, plan events and exchange information.
Responsibilities and Duties
Tasks for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and manage a communications and media strategy to promote Building Markets’ work in Myanmar.
- Implement this strategy and ensure effective coverage of activities carried out by all teams, including various events and advocacy campaigns.
- Establish and maintain an overview of programme and project documentation to support communication activities.
- Provide support in planning, organizing and executing events and workshops.
- Develop good relationships with various media, telecommunication companies, government information offices and related organizations.
- Manage and update a photo and case studies/stories database.
- Update Building Markets social media accounts and increase social media impact and engagement.
- Develop and/or edit communication materials for targeted audiences to increase understanding of Building Markets work and results (news articles, press releases, SME Spotlight stories, fact sheets, brochures etc.) and case studies.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- University degree in a relevant field, preferably communications, journalism or a social discipline.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in communications, journalism and/or development field.
- Experience in editing and writing for formal, technical publications and professional social media.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in communications and/or the media.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in both Myanmar and English.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant communications and media environment.
Yangon, with travel to Mandalay and Mawlamyine
Duration: 5 months
Starting Date: September 2019
If you meet these qualifications, please send the following, attached in an email with the subject line “Communications Officer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application, under your own authorship;
- A complete resume/CV. This should be under your own authorship—candidates who cut and past job descriptions or falsify job history will not be considered;
- Include (3) three names of professional references with email and contact phone numbers.
- Please title your CV as follows: “’LAST NAME, FIRST NAME’ CV for ‘Communications Officer” Please title your cover letter “’LAST NAME, FIRST NAME’ COVER LETTER for Communications Officer”
DO NOT SEND copies of diplomas or certificates, or other documents other than the above.
DO NOT SEND any documents in .jpg, .gif, or any other file formats other than the above.
DO NOT SUBMIT your application in person or otherwise contact Building Markets unless you receive an email response. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further evaluation, which will include an in-person testing session and at least one in-person interview.
There is no deadline for the applications: short-listed applicants will be interviewed as we receive applications, and until the positions are fulfilled Submissions not fitting the above criteria, or those received after the deadline, will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.