Director of Partnerships and Advancement
An outstanding opportunity for a mid-career, dynamic professional to develop and lead private and corporate fundraising and partnership initiatives and related communications strategies and programs. Extensive partnership with the Board of Directors, CEO and other senior leadership. The incumbent reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Context and Organization
Globally, over 700 million people live in extreme poverty. In addition, conflict, climate change, and COVID-19 have forced over 70 million people to flee their homes, often to new countries. It is expected that this poverty and displacement will have devastating impacts on health, education, climate, and global peace and stability.
The fastest way out of poverty and forced migration is through jobs. New jobs are created by small businesses. And Building Markets’ business is helping small businesses in tough markets around the globe to grow and create those jobs.
Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit that finds, builds, and connects small businesses to new customers and capital. The organization has helped more than 26,500 small businesses win over $1.35 billion in contracts and create over 71,500 full-time equivalent jobs in countries as diverse as Afghanistan, Haiti, Liberia, Mozambique, and Timor-Leste.
Headquartered in New York City and currently funded by the US State Department and Coca-Cola Foundation in Turkey and Myanmar, the organization is ready to grow and expand to new countries, leveraging the private sector to support job creation and developing sustainable revenue models and private fundraising in addition to its traditional statutory funding.
Scope and Responsibilities
Partnerships, Fundraising and Communications
- Develop and drive Building Markets’ partnership and fundraising efforts, with a particular focus on high-net-worth individuals, family and philanthropic foundations and businesses.
- Partner with Board Directors and the CEO in cultivating and pursuing partnership and fundraising opportunities.
- Direct and implement communications and marketing efforts to elevate Building Markets’ visibility and brand.
Fundraising and Partnerships (65%)
- Develop a multi-year fundraising and partnership plan, focused on individuals, family and philanthropic foundations, statutory donors, and businesses.
- Develop donor pitches and protocols to support a comprehensive and multifaceted donor outreach effort.
- Maintain situational awareness of new funding prospects, based on evolving and emerging programing initiatives.
- Lead proposal development, including drafting proposals, RFPs and donor submissions.
- Plan and execute targeted cultivation activities in collaboration with the CEO, Board Chair, and Board Directors.
- Ensure effective grant, gift and prospect tracking and revenue reporting to the CEO and Board.
- Train and mentor a core group of staff in supporting donor and prospect engagement.
- Develop and lead implementation of a strategic communications plan to underpin fundraising and partnership efforts.
- Coordinate content development and dissemination across the organization’s communications channels for audience expansion and impactful fundraising.
- Ensure brand and messaging is unified and consistent across global offices.
- Maintain key marketing collateral and contribute to website.
- Guide and support the management of country office communications.
- 7+ years of demonstrated leadership in professional fundraising, partnership and related communications work with a mission-driven organization, preferably operating in an international context.
- Successfully set and consistently met annual fundraising goals.
- Proven track record of securing restricted and unrestricted support from major donors.
- Designed and managed campaigns and events from idea generation to realization.
- Experience in effective board relations.
- Experience in leading results-driven communications for audience expansion.
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills - enjoys working with people and teams.
- Outstanding written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Exceptional analytical and decision-making.
- Personal integrity and excellent judgement.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed organizations, with presence in developing countries and/or frontier markets would be an advantage.
- A can-do mindset, with a strong commitment to driving and delivering results and translating strategy to action.
- Willingness to travel, including to a diverse range of countries.
- Graphic design skills are an advantage.
- Negotiable salary, commensurate with experience.
- Excellent employee health, dental and vision coverage.
- Generous PTO including 4 weeks of vacation and 4 weeks of sick leave.
- Professional development allowance.
- Flexibility exists to allow some teleworking / remote working on a negotiated schedule.
The position is open to valid U.S. work permit holders only.
Building Markets is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Position open until filled, with applications assessed on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.