Mentorship Network Associate
Duration: Part-Time Position, 6-month Contract
Who We Are
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains, investment, and growth opportunities. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs and organizations, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
As a part of its continued response effort to the Syrian crisis, Building Markets has established a program in Turkey to improve socio-economic cohesion and resilience among refugee and host communities through increased access to job, business, and investment opportunities. This includes a survey of Turkey-based enterprises, to help international organizations identify capable local partners, and a targeted training and capacity building program to grow local expertise. Building Markets seeks to continue to develop its programmatic priorities in Turkey by bringing greater visibility and providing tailored services to Syrian and other refugee-owned, as well as host community, enterprises in Turkey.
The Mentorship Network Associate (MNA) reports to the Mentorship Network Director. The ideal candidate is a results-driven professional with excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, and entrepreneurial skills. The MNA is responsible for ensuring that Building Markets is generating value for its network of local Turkish, Syrian and refugee-owned businesses and providing high-quality mentorship services to them.
The position will assist the Mentorship Network Director in designing and implementing the mentorship network and services, recruiting and cultivating mentors, developing and maintaining strong mentee-mentor relationships, and monitoring and measuring outcomes. The MNA needs to have a broad and deep understanding of local market dynamics to ensure Building Markets’ network has access to relevant networks and opportunities.
The MNA will organize the Mentorship Network operations, reporting to the MND and coordinating with relevant staff members whose work feeds directly into plans that improve the enhancement of the relations built between mentors, local Turkish, Syrian and refugee-owned businesses, and broader business organizations and ecosystem.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build key workplans, operations and documentation for bringing Turkish and regional individuals to help mentor business owners in different markets and broaden the skills-based relevance map that can offer opportunities to Turkish, refugee, and Syrian business-owners.
- Organize and operate the mentor development and engagement plans for each target sector;
- Build and enhance the documentation and planning guidelines for the Mentor Engagement Team;
- Coordinate the expansion of mentor network from primary markets to a broader range of expertise;
- Assist in the execution of activities that build trust and engagement between local Turkish, Syrian, and refugee-led businesses and mentors.
Tracking and Reporting
- Monitor and build systems to track results and impact;
- Support data collection, follow-up with mentors and entrepreneurs, ensure accuracy and effectiveness of data management;
- Gather, verify, and compile monthly quantitative and qualitative reporting from staff whose work feeds directly into strategies that improve engagement, understanding, and products targeting businesses and their prospective clients;
- Catalogue results and success stories and ensure that they are provided to the communications team in a timely manner.
- Reports to: Mentorship Network Director
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Business Administration, related field or substantial equivalent in professional experience;
- Proven familiarity with Turkish market;
- Strong organizational skills and track record of bringing people together for training or mentorship programs or events.
- Motivated self-starter, capable of leading initiatives from inception to results;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Experience leading initiatives in the region with a private sector focus;
- Fluency in Arabic, English and Turkish (spoken);
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and quality.
- Regional experience and professional network;
- Familiarity with mentorship, startup and business ecosystem in Turkey and the Middle East;
- Experience working with civil society and/or education institutes in Turkey or similar context.