Mentorship Network Director
Duration: Part-Time Position, 6-month Contract
Who We Are
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains, investment, and growth opportunities. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs and organizations, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create 70,000 jobs in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
As a part of its continued response effort to the Syrian crisis, Building Markets has established a program in Turkey to improve socio-economic cohesion and resilience among refugee and host communities through increased access to job, business, and investment opportunities. This includes a survey of Turkey-based enterprises, to help international organizations identify capable local partners, and a targeted training and capacity building program to grow local expertise. Building Markets seeks to continue to develop its programmatic priorities in Turkey by bringing greater visibility and providing tailored services to Syrian and other refugee-owned, as well as host community, enterprises in Turkey.
The Mentorship Network Director (MND) reports to the Chief of Party and has a strong external facing role with the Building Markets SME network in Turkey and mentors. The ideal candidate is a results-driven professional with excellent interpersonal, communication, and entrepreneurial skills. The MND is responsible for ensuring that Building Markets is generating value for its network of local Turkish, Syrian and refugee-owned businesses and providing high-quality mentorship services to them.
This position will be responsible for overseeing the mentorship network and services by building strategies, designing mentorship services, recruiting and cultivating mentors, developing and maintaining strong mentee-mentor relationships, and monitoring and measuring outcomes. The MND needs to have a broad and deep understanding of local market dynamics to ensure Building Markets’ network has access to relevant expertise and opportunities.
Map key Turkish and regional stakeholders to help mentor the business owners in different markets and develop a skills-based relevance map that
can offer opportunities to local Turkish, refugee, and Syrian business-owners;
- Provide input to the overall positioning of the Building Markets program.
Mentorship Network and Services Development
- Develop and implement mentor development and engagement plans for each target sector;
- Develop and maintain documentation and planning guidelines for the Mentors Network;
- Coordinate the expansion of Mentors Network from primary markets to a broader range of expertise;
- Design activities that build trust and engagement between Turkish, Syrian and refugee-led businesses and Mentors;
- Provide training to mentees to enable them to become mentors in our network;
- Serve as a mentor to businesses in the program.
- Supervise the Mentorship Network Associate in implementation of mentorship program;
- Supervise and coach the network of Mentors in delivering mentorship services to business owners.
Tracking and Reporting
- Ensure efficient systems are in place to track results and impact;
- Oversee data collection, follow-up with mentors and entrepreneurs, ensure accuracy and effectiveness of data management;
- Gather, verify and compile monthly quantitative and qualitative reporting from staff whose work feeds directly into strategies that improve engagement, understanding, and products targeting businesses and their prospective clients;
- Ensure results and success stories are catalogued and provided to the communications team in a timely manner.
- Reports to Chief of Party.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, related field or substantial equivalent in professional experience;
- Demonstrable experience with mentorship programs and best practices (as a mentor, designer/manager of a mentorship program, and/or as a participant of a formal mentorship program);
- Existing relationships with potential mentors in various sectors and functions, and able to leverage networks to cultivate contacts;
- Proven familiarity with Turkish market;
- Motivated self-starter, capable of leading initiatives from inception to results;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Experience leading initiatives in the region with a private sector focus;
- Fluency in English and Turkish (spoken);
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and quality.
- Regional experience and large professional network;
- Familiarity with startup and business ecosystem in Turkey and the Middle East;
- Arabic language skills;
- Experience working with civil society and/or education institutions in Turkey or similar context.