Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of more than 23,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in some of the world’s poorest economies. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Liberia, Myanmar and Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Open and sort incoming mail
- Manage office filing and record-keeping
- Keep organizational HR/administrative templates current
- Work with CFAO/lawyers to update employee manuals
- Draft and send basic correspondence
- Assist in HR tasks, including new and departing staff administration at HQ and abroad
- Purchase office supplies and maintain inventory
- Schedule appointments for CEO/manage calendar
- Assist in managing staff travel
- Support board meeting prep/record-keeping
- Ensuring all filing, policies, etc are kept current (virtually and paper)
- Answer, direct telephone calls, and check voicemail
- Other duties as required
Bookkeeping & Finance:
- General Bookkeeping
- Monitor/manage accounts payable: process and apply payments to invoices, reviewing for approvals and appropriate coding
- Provide support to finance staff abroad on day-to-day financial matters as well as monthly reporting and accounting entries.
- Assist in program and year-end audits.
- Ensure knowledge on financial compliance related to any active contracts or contribution agreements.
- Preparing checks for signature
- Follow-up on past due accounts
- Prepare and review expense claims
- Bank, cash and credit card reconciliations
- Maintain vendor and payment files
- Manage staff time sheets through ClickTime
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum two years education in relevant field of study
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, including working with remote colleagues
- Self-starter and able to handle multiple tasks with minimum direction and meet deadlines
- Minimum of 2 years of bookkeeping experience, Non-Profit Organization experience a plus
- Experience with grants, government contracts a plus
- Understanding of inter-office funding allocation
- Candidate must be conscientious and detail-oriented
- Proficiency in MS Office (on both Macs and PCs) - intermediate level – in particular excel and its full range of functions;
- Experience working with accounting software with knowledge of QuickBooks an asset.
Location: New York City
Reporting Lines: Chief Finance and Administrative Officer and CEO
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Package includes health insurance/dental insurance.
- This is an entry level position.
Start Date: Immediately
To Apply: Interested candidates are invited to send a CV, cover letter, and three professional references by email to email@example.com not later than October 26, 2018. The subject line should read “Office Manager Application”.