Program Support Summer 2019 Fellowship
About Building Markets
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries such as Afghanistan, Haiti, Liberia, Mozambique, and Timor-Leste. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
Background and Program Description
Building Markets has established programs in Jordan and Turkey to bring visibility and opportunity to host-, Syrian-, and other refugee-led businesses in the region. In Jordan, Building Markets is working with more than 300 local companies by profiling them on our online matchmaking platform: https://entrepreneurs.buildingmarkets.org, providing training services, access to local and regional tenders, and connecting them to supply chains and capital. In Turkey, Building Markets, with two local partners, is providing companies with a range of business development services from business verification and tender distribution to training sessions and mentorship advisory. In Myanmar, we have a network of over 3,000 local SMEs. Currently, our team is focused on building up the capacity of businesses in the waste management and recycling sectors and connecting them to new markets.
The Summer Fellowship is open to graduate students interested in gaining great hands-on experience with program implementation, by supporting Building Markets with its programs in Jordan, Turkey, and Myanmar. A work plan will be developed that aligns with the Fellow’s experience, interest, and the needs of Building Markets. The Fellow will support the team from Building Markets’ headquarters office in New York City and report to the Project Officer. Specific start dates are flexible, but the Fellow would be expected to work for approximately three months (June to August). A modest monthly stipend will be provided. If you are interested in market development in some of the world’s most interesting countries, have a willingness to stretch and learn new things, are willing to jump in no matter the task, this position is for you!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct research and analysis to support country programs, as needed;
- Support the establishment and maintenance of online project management systems;
- Develop communications materials - including newsletters, one pagers, presentations, templates and other resources;
- Maintain up-to-date data on Building Markets’ Matchmaking Platform;
- Engage Building Markets’ Network across various social media platforms;
- Perform administrative duties;
- Data cleaning.
- Enrolled in a graduate program in international studies, business administration or a related discipline, with a keen interest in market development and entrepreneurship;
- Relevant experience with research, analysis, monitoring and evaluation methods, and best practices;
- Skilled in using Google Drive, Excel, and online databases and resources;
- Comfortable with data;
- Fast learner with a resourceful attitude;
- Good written and oral communication skills across diverse cultures;
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills, with the ability to explain complex issues in simple and relevant terms (Arabic or Turkish language skills are a plus);
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- New York City
- 3 months (negotiable)
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Program Support Summer 2019 Fellowship