Us: We are a social enterprise that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by connecting local businesses and organizations to new opportunities. Our innovative, data-driven approach to market development has built a network of more than 24,000 local businesses and organizations, assisted them in winning $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create 70,000 jobs. Over the last two years, we have introduced several new digital platforms to increase the impact and efficiency of our organization and value to our end-users.
You: A hands-on digital MacGyver excited about our mission and able to take our technology-based platforms to the next level. This includes managing complex, multi-language WordPress sites with customized plugins, introducing new functionality to the sites, and maintenance/upgrades to our main organizational website, which is Drupal-based.
You will work with management to refine strategy and improve workflows associated with Building Markets' tech. You must be able to teach, both in-person and virtually, including establishing a common vocabulary to get the entire team on the same page as new processes are implemented and refined.
- Ensure existing technology (internal and external) meets the needs of Building Markets’ end users and program teams, including gathering and managing requirements from system users;
- Directly improve and introduce new functionality;
- Coordinate installations, manage plugins, test and troubleshoot systems and problems, and maintain and upgrade hardware and software as needed;
- Ensure analytics are properly set-up and monitoring user interactions;
- Replicate and introduce sites to new countries as needs.
- Understand and analyze industry trends/opportunities/challenges/etc, as they pertain to the work of Building Markets and other leaders in the sector;
- Recommend new innovation and technological solutions to complement and improve upon Building Markets’ current services and technology initiatives;
- Coordinate tasks and deliverables across multiple teams to ensure their timely delivery;
- Support the CEO with strategic planning to take potential innovations forward from the seed stage to production.
Leadership, Education and Coordination
- Align pace and direction of projects/initiatives with overall strategic priorities of the organization and monitor and evaluate their progress;
- Provide ongoing support and training to Building Markets staff who interact with technological initiatives and lead staff training on technology both virtually and in-person.
- Certificate/degree in relevant discipline or 5 years of demonstrated experience working on similar technology, including portfolio/examples of work;
- Advanced programming skills, including experience with complex WordPress sites with customized plugins that require large data uploads;
- Technical knowledge and experience with Drupal, ODK, and HTML/coding;
- Experience with SalesForce a plus.
Compensation and Duration
- Consulting contract with hourly rate commensurate with experience and market.
- This is a flexible position that will involve between 8 - 20 hours a week (more in the near-term). Ideal candidate is based in NYC region and able to come to the office to work with colleagues as required.
- Interested candidates are invited to send a CV, cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must read “Programmer”.