Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit that creates jobs and generates economic growth in crisis-affected and frontier markets. We do this by providing a set of mutually reinforcing services, including verification, training, and matchmaking, that connect local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through its approach, the organization has built a network of more than 25,000 SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped to create over 70,000 jobs in countries as diverse as Afghanistan, Haiti, Liberia and Timor-Leste.
Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently maintains offices in Jordan, Myanmar and Turkey. Revenues are derived from a range of governmental, philanthropic and private sector sources. The organization is poised for further growth: solidifying its niche in leveraging the private sector to support economic growth and development, while renewing and exploring ways to grow its business model, including diversification of funding and fee-for-service opportunities.
The Project Officer is a key focal point at Building Markets corporate headquarters and between headquarters and country teams. The position works closely with, and in support of, Program Directors (including the Global Head of Programs), Human Resources, and country teams to ensure the smooth implementation of Building Markets’ programs at headquarters and in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to project planning and launch under guidance of Program Directors (PDs) and Chief Operating Officer (COO);
- Support PDs in translating program strategies into implementation plans – This includes drafting activity specific workplans and frameworks, developing and maintaining standard operating procedures and workflows, and providing ongoing support (see Implementation tasks below);
- Support PDs to ensure knowledge management of project documents at HQ and on Google Drive, conduct spot checks, identify inefficiencies and work with project teams to address gaps;
- Support project close-out tasks, including documenting lessons learned to inform strategic improvements and future programming;
- Work with PDs to plan, coordinate, and document key meetings and calls between HQ and country teams;
- Update and maintain relevant HQ Google Calendars with project milestones, deliverables, and events.
Human Resources and Administrative Support:
- Support PDs and COO in overseeing all aspects of program compliance and procurement in line with Building Markets’ policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws. This includes donor agreements, suppliers, vendors and subcontractors;
- Provide recruitment support to COO and PDs, which may include drafting and posting TORs, screening and developing initial shortlists of prospective candidates, supporting onboarding and offboarding;
- Support in the development, implementation and review of standard operating procedures to streamline administrative and operational workflows and processes – as directed by the PDs and COO;
- Supervise interns, program fellows and volunteers as required by the project;
- Serve as the secretary and minute taker for weekly HQ staff meetings;
- Drafting program meeting agendas and record and circulate minutes as needed.
Information Technology and Salesforce Administration:
- Serve as the point of contact for Building Markets’ virtual training platform, Mailchimp, Google Drive and Matchmaking Platform. This includes developing standard operating procedures and workflows for country teams, training teams on rollout, and ongoing support;
- Troubleshoot, document, and resolve website-related issues in coordination with PDs, project teams and Building Markets’ programmers;
- Support the creation of reports and dashboards in Salesforce for country and HQ teams to monitor project targets;
- Support the cleaning and uploading of data to Salesforce as necessary;
- Support Google Drive access, social media permissions and licenses for country teams.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Research:
- Contribute to monitoring progress on program and project implementation, results and spending.
- Serve as the focal point at HQ for all program M&E, conduct spot checks, troubleshoot and coordinate monthly updates from country teams to document global impact in relevant trackers;
- Provide remote quality assurance on all program data management and data entry;
- Work with PDs to ensure Salesforce and Google Drive is properly integrated into M&E and project workflows;
- Conduct background research and draft and edit reports as directed by PDs.
Communications and Donor Relations:
- Promote programming by supporting HQ and country teams in producing weekly web content (including blogs, newsletters and social media); pitch new ideas;
- Support global campaigns (end of year giving, World SME Day, International Women’s Day). This includes: creating social media/event calendars, producing content, and coordinating across global teams to ensure smooth implementation;
- Under direction of PDs, regularly update marketing materials and guidance, in support of Building Markets’ programs and project administration;
- Support preparation of donor reports (quarterly, semi-annual, annual), and other material as directed by PDs;
- Assist in keeping leads database current;
- Monitor proposal leads in focus country/regions and support the development of proposals (desk research, completing initial proposal drafts);
- Provide quality assurance over program written materials and reports;
- Support country teams in developing and maintaining audience lists for email distributions, events, product and report launches.
Primary: Program Director
Secondary: Global Head of Programs, COO
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Undergraduate degree at minimum or graduate degree in relevant field (business, international development/relations);
- A self-motivated, problem-solver with strong attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and technical writing skills;
- Good organizational and time-management skills;
- Clear communicator;
- Team player that can adjust to the demands/requirements of a virtual working environment;
- Enjoys marketing, social media and web content management;
- Comfortable with MS Excel and Google Apps;
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
Location, Employment Status and Compensation
The position is located at corporate headquarters, New York City, with some possibility of occasional travel to field operations.
The position may be filled at, or with scope to move to, the Senior Project Officer level for the right candidate.
The position is open to valid U.S. work permit holders only.
• Salary commensurate with experience.
• Excellent health, dental and vision coverage.
• Annual leave.
• Professional development support.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Please send your cover letter, outlining how your experience and skills match with the key duties and responsibilities of this role, and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your application email should read: Project Officer, New York City.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted, and may be interviewed. The position is being advertised until filled.