Who We Are
Building Markets is an award-winning non-profit organization that creates jobs and encourages economic growth by finding, building and connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and civil society organizations (CSOs) to supply chains, investment, and growth opportunities. We have built a network of more than 24,000 verified SMEs and organizations, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 69,000 jobs in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar, and Turkey. For more information, visit www.buildingmarkets.org.
As a part of its continued response effort to the Syrian crisis, Building Markets has established a program in Turkey to improve socio-economic cohesion and resilience among refugee and host communities through increased access to job, business, and investment opportunities. This includes a survey of Turkey-based enterprises, to help international organizations identify capable local partners, and a targeted training and capacity building program to grow local expertise. Building Markets seeks to continue to develop its programmatic priorities in Turkey by bringing greater visibility and providing tailored services to Syrian and other refugee-owned, as well as host community, enterprises in Turkey.
The Verification Officer is the point of contact for Building Markets’ SME clients in Turkey. Primarily, the Verification Officer will make field visits, as well as follow-up phone calls to SME clients, to collect data on businesses and share Building Markets’ mission, objectives, and services. Specifically, the Verification Officer will be responsible for:
- Making field visits to local businesses;
- Making phone calls to local businesses;
- Describing the mission, objectives and complete suite of services offered by Building Markets;
- Conducting interviews with business owners/managers using Building Markets’ tablet-based questionnaire;
- Delivering information from interviews with SMEs to Building Markets’ Research Manager;
- Contributing to the success of data collection by understanding the strategy, questions, and purpose of the survey to ensure maximum efficiency and accuracy of data;
- Contribute to data entry and data validity;
- Be part of a positive team environment by respectful conduct toward all Building Markets; staff, partners, and clients.
- Completed or pursuing a university degree in a relevant field and /or secondary school certificate and relevant professional experience (e.g. 2-3 years conducting field surveys and/or interviews);
- Turkish citizenship;
- Knowledge or interest in the Syrian (and/or other refugee populations) business community and industries in Turkey;
- Fluency in Arabic and English or Turkish;
- Confidence and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of business executives, government officials, and partners;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to represent Building Markets accurately and professionally;
- Strong motivation to promote private sector development in Turkey;
- Entrepreneurial and resourceful attitude;
- Basic understanding of surveys, enumeration, and data entry;
- Good communication skills and experience with cross-cultural communication;
- Creativity and ability to apply skills in an environment with limited resources.
Istanbul, Turkey with travel to field locations to conduct interviews, as required.
Full-time or part-time (if candidate is a university student), 5-month contract.
Application Closing Date
5PM Istanbul time, 6 February 2019
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Verification Officer- Turkey.