Haiti: Overview & Impact
Population: 9.7 million (UN, 2010)
Languages: French, Creole
Monetary unit: Haitian Gourd
Main Exports: Light manufacturers, coffee, oils, mangoes (CIA World Factbook, 2012)
GNI per capita: US $995 (World Bank, 2009)
ODA received: $1.12 billion (OECD, 2009)
Human Development Index ranking: 149 out of 189 (UN, 2010)
Estimated GDP growth: -7% (World Bank, 2010)
Products & Services
- Local Business Directory
- Tender Distribution
- Market Research
- 2012: Rebuilding Haiti: A Survey of Buyers and Builders Two Years after the Earthquake
- 2012: Buy Local. Build Haiti. A General Overview
- 2012: Haiti First: Promoting Local Business in Procurement
- 2012: Haiti Marketplace Results to Date: March 2012
- 2012: Regional Verification
- 2012: Market Information on the Haiti Marketplace
- 2012: Marketplace Profile: Haitian Women in Business
- 2011: Business in Haiti's Food and Beverage Sector
- 2012: Haiti Impact Report
- 2012: Rapport Impact Haiti (French)
Since its inception in 2009, the Sustainable Marketplace Initiative in Haiti has supported local market development. This initiative has achieved the following results.
- Helped facilitate 1,332 local contracts and redirected more than $28 million into the Haitian economy.
- Through verification surveys and registration on the Local Business Directory, the project team has brought online visibility to 3,966 Haitian businesses, including 972 that are female-owned.
- Tender Distribution Services have collected and disseminated more than 1,000 tenders to local businesses, creating transparency in contracting and increasing access to new business opportunities.
- 1,023 businesses have received training, helping to improve their knowledge about procurement processes and their ability to successfully compete for and win contracts.
- Created 570 matchmaking reports for buyers looking for verified local businesses in the Haitian marketplace.
*Source: Building Markets, June 2014
Donors and Partners