- This event has passed.
June 27 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am EDT
Accelerating local economic development through refugee-led SMEsVirtual (Zoom Event)
In the face of significant global displacement and growing inequality, the narrative around refugees needs a shift: from viewing refugees merely as aid recipients to acknowledging their resilience and resourcefulness as entrepreneurs capable of enriching local economies. This is not only about social justice—it’s about tapping into an underutilized engine of local economic growth.
Organized by Building Markets and the Refugee Self-Reliance Initiative, the webinar “Accelerating local economic development through refugee-led SMEs” will explore:
- The unique challenges and opportunities encountered by refugee entrepreneurs
- The potential role of refugee-led SMEs in revitalizing local economies
- How international donors, buyers, NGOs, and policy-makers can support and leverage refugee entrepreneurship as an engine for local economic development
Meet our panelists:
- Yara Asad – Private Sector Specialist, World Bank
- Somar Nassar – Business Development Coordinator, Export Promotion, Building Markets
- Jacqueline Sofia – Co-Founder, Sitti Social Enterprise